Monday, May 13, 2013

Thank You Letters

I just got a big packet of thank-you letters from the 8th grade class that I went to talk to last month. Their teacher was my 7th grade science teacher, and they all had really excellent questions. Anyway, I just wanted to share some of the highlights of the notes.

This kid must be psychic, because I am OBSESSED with rainbows.

This kid was REALLY paying attention! Super impressed.

Not sure what species this whale is, but it appears to be very happy.

Pretty good pencil-drawing of a photo I've taken, actually.

Hehehe.
Very cute.
Jumping, not beached.


Take that, @WhySharksMatter.

I think I should talk to 8th graders more often. I don't think I've gotten this much positive feedback in YEARS (or at least since I started grad school). Too bad I can't go back and tell my totally nerdy, socially awkward, completely lacking in self esteem 13 year-old self that one day the 8th graders would think I'm AMAZING... but that it would take about 16 years for that to happen.








Anyway, the notes were really fun and a nice gesture. And that one about being AMAZING is going up on my wall for a little while, to look at during moments of frustration while I work on my dissertation.

Oh, in other news, I just finished a post for my new "job" as a blogger at Scitable. I'm allowed to post it here, too, after I post it at Scitable, so I will. To be honest, I've been hesitant to blog here since I was invited to write at Scitable because I didn't want to use up all my good science writing ideas. But now that Scitable is finally zooming toward its relaunch you'll start to see more stuff here.

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on blogging at Scitable. I wrote an article for them a few years ago, and then it just disappeared into the ether. I guess I should just put it on my blog now. How often will you be writing there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, great news! Totally looking forward to seeing new posts! Congrats :-) And yeah, those thank-you notes are fantastic. Looks like you made a big impression.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?